Monday, April 15, 2013

(Yet) another way to cut the deficit

I was reading about Russ Feingold yesterday and saw that he opposed Medicare Part D. I was interested, why would he oppose a social program? As I read the Wikipedia article for how it works, there is a very important difference between how it works and the DVA, and that is they are not allowed to negotiate for lower drug prices. In Joseph E. Stiglitz's book "The Price of Inequality he quotes Dean Baker that we could save over $50 billion dollars a year, potentially as much as $100 billion per year on health care if they were allowed to negotiate with drug companies on prices.

As I ask with many of my posts, who wins when these decisions are made? The average American who pays taxes and lives an ordinary life loses, but the people who win are the drug companies. As I have said in many blog posts here, there is a clear conflict of interest involved from our politicians in how this decision has been made. By keeping the cost of Medicare high by forbidding it to negotiate with the drug companies to get a better deal we are wasting billions of dollars a year, and this must stop.

2 comments:

  1. It was an excellent article, in my opinion. I greatly appreciate your sharing. You did an excellent job. Your article provided a lot of useful information. For more information about The Best Tips to Help Improve Your Typing Techniques, please visit my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting such a blog post. Thanks for sharing this information with us. Sharing a topic with you based on click clicks per second. . Using this article, you can check the speed of your clicks in seconds.

    ReplyDelete